Tuesday 12 August 2014

PGS motorcycle armor review (PDM armor review)

http://bikegear.in/guards/body-armour-online
This is where I bought it from.

I had read a few bad reviews about bikegear.in on mouthshut.com. Thankfully, the product was delivered to me on time. The armor was in good condition and hence no complaints about the shopping experience.

This is how it looks like

I ride a Bajaj Avenger 220. Going by the style of motorcycle, leather should have been my 1st choice but I had a tight budget. Mesh jackets were okay but were too mainstream. Armor seemed interesting enough. I had earlier tried fox armor however, I was not satisfied with its build quality


PGS body armor comes with all the protection integrated. It is quite sturdy, looks like it can take impacts and protect you well. None of the parts can be detached. The cloth material does good breathing. The armor has shoulder, elbow, chest, stomach and spine protection. The belt is adjustable and comes with velcro. I would have liked a buckle instead to ensure tightness throughout the journey.

These armors are meant for motocross and stunts but can be used for touring as well. The armor makes you confident enough to open full throttle. It shields 70% of the upper body. The armor is as comfortable as a full face helmet ( By this I mean that a full face helmet is not very comfortable when worn for the first time but when you get used to it, you cannot ride without it. The armor will also share the same chemistry with you)

The armor is best worn inside t-shirt/jacket. Wearing it outside will make you look like power ranger or a wannabe robo. But if you are hairy, wear a vest and then this armor and then the t-shirt. This is what you will end up looking like
clicked by Sagar Acharya
The armor will make you give an impression that you are a man on special mission and a guerrilla warfare expert. :D

The 2 strips connecting the chest protection and spine protection will obstruct your head movement if you wear a full face helmet. I removed it for my convenience. If you want to keep those strips, using a modular helmet will be convenient. Also, the spine protection tends to get stuck in low waist pants. Wearing normal or high waist pants or proper motorcycle pants will make it much easier to carry. When seated, the chest protection bends a little to form V shape. When seen from side, you will look like you have grown a pair of boobs. But i guess this V shape bending helps you cut through the wind better. I do not know if it was meant to be that way.

The armor does not protect you from rain or winter So you will have to carry additional jackets for the same.

I have worn this armor during 3 rides and I have faced no issues apart from the need to adjust it every time I get up (like a tight t-shirt).

All in all, I would say, for Rs 3700 it is a good investment to ensure safety when riding a motorcycle.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment