Saturday 14 June 2014

Why I chose Bajaj Avenger and not any other motorcycle


My first Bajaj Avenger
Disclaimer: This blog is not against any motorcycle make or model. Motorcycling is more of rider’s preferences and the motorcycle’s capabilities together.  If I choose a motorcycle it means that it suits my requirements to the best and need not necessarily mean that it is the best motorcycle for everyone.

I was done with riding 2 stroke scooty and dio. I wanted something of bigger displacement. I had a thing for cruisers right from childhood. Race and motocross types never impressed me. Speed was never my priority. It still isn’t. I leave to every place much before time and never in hurry. However, I felt that my new vehicle should be powerful enough to take me to my destination quickly when needed. I always dreamt of owning an eliminator during early days of college. Other commuter motorcycles were out of question. Back when I bought my 1st motocycle the only budget performance motorcycles were P220, Avenger, RE, R15, Karizma, Apache RTR and a few more.
I ride daily. My daily commute used to be around 33 Kms. Occassional long rides was something that had been there in mind.

Royal enfield was in consideration. My main problem with RE is its sound. (You read it right.) I can happily admire an RE passing in front of me but being compelled to listen to that thump everytime I ride didn’t seem like a good idea. Besides, RE comes with its own maintenance demands and I was not sure how respectfully I can keep up with it.

I read a few reviews of avenger. It seemed pretty okay. I took a test ride after which I was convinced that I will be comfortable on it even if I ride for 150 plus kms at a stretch. The motorcycle seemed very balanced and steady the 1st time I sat on it. I was not too much into motorcycle tech specs but the comfort and the styling made me finalize on it. The other advantages were the price and waiting period. Going for an RE at that point would have made me cut down on other expenses.
It’s only after about a few thousand KM on your motorcycle you will start understanding your chemistry with it. Servicing was done exactly as recommended in manual. I did a few short distance trips and a few long ones. Did a 1300 Km ride from Bangalore to Gulbarga and back. In 2 years I was done with 25000 plus Kms.
What I liked in Bajaj Avenger 220:
·         Extremely comfortable ride quality
·         The top speed isn’t as bad as I had thought. I have done 120KPH on Hyderabad highway
The bike has started in all sorts weather Bangalore has seen.  The coldest start that my motorcycle saw was when it was 10 degrees Celsius in a hill station.
·         Not affected too much by cross winds
·         According to me it is the best looking Indian make motorcycle
·         Fuel economy is decent if you ride at moderate speeds. It has given me 48 Kmpl many times
·         Low rpm torque is something that surprised me. The figure on paper is just 17 Nm but has seen the bike performing quite well when stuck in mud, pot hole and rain water. It impressively goes up hill and does offroading quite well though it is not meant for it.
·         Maintenance is easy. Just get the regular servicing done, keep the tyre pressure appropriate, wash regularly, lubricate the chain and get the wheel alignment checked.

New Bajaj Avenger
What could have been better:

·         Sometimes rare brake seems inefficient. Front brake compensates for it. Yet rear disc brake would have helped I feel
·         Durability of clutch cable
·         Crash guard

After about 25000 Kms I have fallen in love with this motorcycle so much that I don’t want to ride any other. A couple of months ago my 1st avenger got stolen (mentioned earlier in another blog post). I bought another avenger. This time the price and waiting period both didn’t matter yet I chose the same vehicle. My tuning with this motorcycle has been great and it has served me well in short and long rides without cable cuts or oil spilling problems. 

Some of the common questions I get asked/statements made in front of me and my replies


Bajaj? Really?
Yeah does that make a difference when the product is great

Avenger Lacks thump
I prefer it that way. Sparta makes a lot of noise. Buddha never did. Both have fans following

It can’t do off-roading
It can but you may not be very comfortable doing it. If you have a strong back please do give a try

It’s a poor man’s bullet
Seriously? Both are made for different purposes.

It is nothing but Pulsar with a different body
True but tweaked to be a cruiser. Even I follow news about bajaj. Thanks


It does not have resale value
No problem

It’s not durable
My friend’s well maintained avenger is 6 years old and it still works like new.

It’s not great in traffic
Turning radius is huge. It helps you stick to lane discipline.

If you have any doubts about the motorcycle, feel free to leave your doubts in comment section. I will be more than happy to answer.

8 comments:

  1. Tell me more about how do you achieve a mileage of almost 45+, how much you keep the tyre pressure and other specs. Thanks in advance. Hey btw...nice blog !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Service it regularly. Tyre pressure has to be optimum as mentioned in manual. Use bajaj engine oil. Maintain a speed of about 60 kph. Tyre pressure shud be 21 and 25 psi front and rear respectively.

      Thanks for reading. Cheers :)

      Delete
  2. Gowtham, loved it.... Can completely relate to everything u said!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    Loved your blog.I am going to book my first bike today..I just need some clarification....how is the pillion comfort and ease of ride in traffic...i am talking about something like peak bangalore traffic...pls guide
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and sorry for the late reply. Pillion comfort is not that great. you would need additional seat cushioning. Riding in Bangalore traffic may not be as easy as riding a scooty because of a large turning radius. It will make sure that you are disciplined on road :D

      Delete
  4. Lokesh Enterprises provided bajaj cable, bajaj maxima cable, bajaj 2 stroke cable, bajaj 4 stroke cable in delhi, india. VIEW MORE :- Bajaj Cable

    ReplyDelete
  5. S.N ENTERPRISES was founded in the year 1990, by Mr. Naveen Arora and is the leading manufacturer of Hydraulic Pipe Bending Machines , Pipe Bending Die, Ball Mandrel, Wiper shoe, Receiving Gauge, Welding Fixtures, Brazing Fixtures. View More: Pipe Bending Die

    ReplyDelete